What Is the STEM Transfer Summer Start Program?
The STEM Transfer Summer Start Program is a collaboration among the Division of Undergraduate Education and The Office of Summer Sessions. It is designed to provide a bridge for transfer students entering into one of UCSB’s participating Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) majors. The program enriches the student experience, improves preparation for the academic year through specially tailored courses, and provides students with the opportunity to develop knowledge and connections that will help them to succeed in participating STEM majors.
STEM TSSP students begin their UCSB experience by enrolling in courses during the six-week Summer Session B. These include:
- Two courses within the STEM major: a designated bridge course designed especially for transfer students within that major and another course that fulfills major requirements
- One or more additional courses that fulfill graduation requirements
For students who are accepted, all course and general service fees are fully paid by the program STEM Transfer Summer Start Program.
Who is Eligible?
Eligible students are evaluated by each participating department and invited to the program shortly after they have been admitted to UCSB; academic achievement and financial need are given high priority. For the 2016-17 academic year, participating departments/majors include:
- Biological Sciences (EEMB and MCDB)
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Psychological and Brain Sciences
Each participating department will offer specialized coursework and advising for the program participants.
Participation in the STEM TSSP is by invitation. Initial invitations will come from the Office of Summer Sessions. Once students are notified about acceptance into the STEM TSSP, they will be put into contact with appropriate departmental advisors, as well as with other relevant offices at UCSB.
By participating in the program, transfer students can:
- Develop relationships with faculty and graduate student mentors
- Get a jump start on key courses and research opportunities
- Learn about a wide variety of academic and student life resources
- Join a cohort of transfer students who share common interests
- Acclimate to the campus
- Receive financial support during the summer term
The program offers students a closer connection with the department of their major, with specialized small classes focused on their chosen discipline.
Participating in the summer program provides students an edge in their academic career at UCSB by helping to lay the groundwork for academics, giving room to consider more advanced studies, potential career pathways, and giving additional time to foster relationships with faculty in their major department.
How to Learn More
Invitations to this program are extended to eligible students by the Office of Summer Sessions. Questions may be directed to Katie Anderson, Office of Summer Sessions, at (805) 893-2069 / email@example.com.
For questions related to the administration of the program, please contact Nick Alward-Saxon, Executive Assistant to the Dean of Undergraduate Education, at
(805) 893-2528 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit the Transfer Summer Start Program page for details on this program for incoming transfer students in STEM fields