A message from our Pre-Law advisor, Miguel Moran-Lanier:
Law is a complex, competitive field that remains a popular career option among students at UCSB. If you are attracted to the law profession, I welcome you to the challenge! UCSB’s Pre-Law Advising program is designed to help students like you in planning a path to law school.
If you are interested in pursuing law, I encourage you to do the following:
- Schedule a pre-law advising appointment. This type of consultation is appropriate if you have in-depth questions, need help in preparing for law school admissions, and/or want to develop an individualized academic plan. For more urgent or brief questions, visit the College Advising Office (1117 Cheadle Hall) for a walk-in appointment, available during the summer on Wednesday afternoons, from 1:00–3:00 p.m.
- Review the Official Guide to US Law Schools.
- Talk to people who have a connection to the legal profession. Be prepared to hear about the advantages as well as the disadvantages.
- Consider visiting Career Services office, which is another helpful resource for students exploring law. There, a career advisor can assist you in exploring the legal profession and assessing whether or not the field is fitting to your strengths and preferences.
- Finally, please take the time to explore our website. Whether you already have begun the law school application process or you are in the first stages of considering the law profession, I am confident that you will find some helpful information.
I look forward to meeting with you, answering your questions, and providing guidance as you consider a career in law!