THIS CHART IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. PLEASE CHECK BACK REGULARLY.
2017-2018 Dates and Deadlines
|Winter 2019||Spring 2019||Summer 2019||Fall 2019|
|Application deadline||May 18, 2018||
October 19, 2018
|Move-in Dates||January 5-6||March 23-24||TBA||TBA|
|Program Orientation||January 7||March 25||TBA||TBA|
|First Day of Internship/Class||January 8||March 26||TBA||TBA|
|Final Program Date||March 19||June 9||TBA||TBA|
|Departure Date||March 19||June 9||TBA||TBA|
Please note: Each quarter there are two mandatory orientations: one on the second day of move-in and one the following day. You must attend. Please contact us with any questions about when you should arrive at the Center.
UPCOMING INFORMATIONAL SESSIONS:
- Tuesday, April 10, 2018 | 3:00 - 4:00 pm North Hall 1115
- Wednesday, April 11, 2018 | 3:00 - 4:00 pm Transfer Student Center
- Tuesday April 17, 2018 | 2:00- 3:00 pm Transfer Student Center
- Wednesday, April 18, 2018 | 2:00- 3:00pm North Hall 1115
- Monday, April 23, 2018 | 11:00 am- 12:00 pm Transfer Student Center
- Friday, April 27, 2018 | 10:00 - 11:00 am North Hall 1115
- Wednesday, May 2, 2018 | 10:00 - 11:00 am North Hall 1115
- Friday, May 4, 2018 | 12:00-1:00 pm Transfer Student Center
We are delighted that you are interested in applying to the UCDC program! Please read through the following application process carefully. Please note, as of February 17, 2015, updates have been made to the application process. Contact us if you have any questions about applying.
1. Fill out the INTEREST FORM.
Using your Umail address, complete all required fields on the interest form (name, major, perm number, etc.) You should hear from us via email with application reminders soon after.
2. Submit your RESUME via email.
Submit a one page resume to ucdc@Ltsc.ucsb.edu as a PDF, listing relevant educational and work experience, any special skills, honors or awards, and any other relevant experience such as internships or volunteer positions. Include your GPA (if 3.0 or higher), major, any minors or emphases, and expected date of graduation. Do not include any activities or work experience from high school. An objective is purely optional. Click for resume tips from Career Services and to download a sample resume.
3. Submit your PERSONAL STATEMENT via email.
Your personal statement must not exceed two pages, whether single or double-spaced. It will be evaluated on content, style, and general mastery of the English language. Your essay may also be used as a writing sample as you apply to internships in D.C. Therefore, do not write about one particular agency, as you may want to use the essay for several possible internships. Please submit as a PDF.
Please address the following in your essay:
- Your personal academic and career goals and how UCDC will fit into those goals
- How your past experiences, academic or otherwise, have prepared you to take advantage of UCDC
- The type of internship you will seek
4. Have ONE LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION sent to ucdc@Ltsc.ucsb.edu.
ONE letter of recommendation is required. It should be submitted as a PDF on company or department letterhead. Your letter of recommendation may come from anyone you have worked with in an academic, volunteer, or professional environment, with the exception of teaching assistants (TAs), family members, peers, or high school teachers/administrators.
There are specific request forms depending on the type of letter you are using, one for academic and one for employment. Fill in the personal information and deadline date before giving this form to your letter writer. The form does not need to be included with the letter when it is sent in. It is your responsibility to ensure that your recommendation is submitted by the deadline date.
5. Submit your EAP Reciprocity or transfer TRANSCRIPTS via email.
The UCDC office will obtain unofficial UCSB transcripts for all applicants. Transfer and EAP Reciprocity students who have attended UCSB for fewer than five quarters are required to submit unofficial transcripts via email from all other colleges and universities attended.
Admission to the UCDC Program is competitive. The program has a limited number of openings each quarter, and they will be offered to the most qualified applicants. For more information about the selection criteria and procedures, please refer below for further details.
If you apply for the UCDC Program, your written application will be evaluated according to your communication skills, academic accomplishments, work experience, extracurricular activities and, most importantly, evidence of the following:
- Seriousness of purpose
- Appropriate academic preparation for the proposed internship and research project
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a highly demanding environment
- Ability to collaborate with others
After screening all applications, the selection committee will ask to interview the students who were rated most favorably on their written materials.
Notification of Admission
Notice of admission to the UCDC Program will be sent by email approximately 7-10 days after interviews are completed. Under no circumstances will results be given over the telephone. Admitted students will receive an electronic "admissions" packet from the UCDC office. The packet contains important information and instructions for finalizing participation in the program. If you have applied to the program, please check your Umail account regularly so you do not miss any correspondence regarding admissions decisions.
Please contact the UCDC staff at (805) 893-3090, or by email at ucdc@Ltsc.ucsb.edu if you have any questions regarding this process.