- Lefeba Gougis (President: email@example.com
- Lisa Chen (VP): Chen.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maya Rao (Mobile brigades chair): email@example.com
- Andew DeMarco (Media & Marketing): Andrewj1012@gmail.com
- Josh Drake (Treasurer): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Iraa Guleria (Fundraising chair): email@example.com
- Andrea Ramirez (Community service): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Medlife main website: https://www.medlifemovement.org/
- Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/pg/UCSBMedlife/about/?ref=page_internal
“Our mission is to build a worldwide movement empowering the poor in their fight for equal access to healthcare, education and a safe home.” Poverty is the sad reality for a large portion of the world’s population, and it is a multi-dimensional problem that must be approached as such. Thus, MEDLIFE’s mission to empower the poor is accomplished via three routes: Medicine, Education, and Community Development.
Opportunities/Perks of Joining:
- UCSB’s chapter goes on yearly volunteer trips abroad to various locations in South America. These “Service Learning Trips” (SLT) last one week (7 days), and involve 5 days of clinic work in a different under-served community each day, 1 day of cultural immersion, and 1 day doing some fun activity; like hiking Machu Picchu or going on a rafting/ zip line tour of Los Baños.
- On SLT’s, members get to work side-by-side with medical professionals (Dentists, Doctors, OBGYN, Pharmacists, and Nurses) reading/ filling prescription, watching diagnoses, educating community members and children, taking vitals, etc;
- We provide information and lines of contact to community service opportunities and volunteer positions (i.e. Cottage Hospital, Santa Barbara Street Medicine, Gateway tutoring, and SB Humane Society)
- Kaplan test prep (on-campus) offers Medlife members a discount for MCAT prep
- Members can acquire letters of recommendation after attending a SLT
- We also provide members with valuable first-hand experience scheduling and executing fundraising events, independently and as part of a team.