Estimated annual campus deadline: Mid-August
One of the most well-known and prestigious scholarships available, the Rhodes Scholarship funds two-or-three years of post-bachelor study at Oxford University in England, and seeks students who can demonstrate outstanding scholarly achievement, a commitment to others and to the common good, and the potential to be leaders in their chosen field.
Eligibily: Seniors or recent graduates under age 24; U.S. citizens; GPA 3.9 or higher; all majors
Award amount: all costs for one, two, or three years of study at the University of Oxford; maintenance allowance; travel and research grants
Campus nomination: required for all UCSB applicants.
Expanded Scholarship Details:
One of the most prestigious of scholarships available, the Rhodes Scholarship funds two-or-three years of post-bachelor study at Oxford University in England. Rhodes Scholars are chosen not only for their outstanding scholarly achievements, but for their character, commitment to others and to the common good, and for their potential for leadership in whatever domains their careers may lead.
The Rhodes Scholarship requires students to be endorsed by their campuses. Students considering applying for the Rhodes Scholarship should send an email indicating their interest in the Rhodes to firstname.lastname@example.org well before the campus deadline, and they will be contacted by our office, which coordinates the nominations process for all applicants UCSB, regardless of college.
While students may consult our office and with faculty advisors in general terms about their applications, beginning in 2016, the Rhodes Trust will as ask all students to attest to the following:
I attest that this personal statement is my own work and is wholly truthful. Neither it nor any earlier draft has been edited by anyone other than me, nor has anyone else reviewed it to provide me with suggestions to improve it. I understand that any such editing or review would disqualify my application.
You may obtain scholarship information and access the on-line application at the Rhodes Scholarship Website in July.
Minimum eligibility requirements:
- That the applicant is a citizen of the United States, or a lawful permanent resident of the United States prior to and including at least 5 years of the application deadline.
- That the applicant is at least 18 but not yet 24 years of age (i.e., the applicant must still be 23 on October 1 in the year of application).
- That the applicant is sufficiently advanced academically to assure completion of a bachelor’s degree before October 1 in the year following election for the scholarship.
- That the applicant has demonstrated outstanding scholarly achievement (a cumulative UCSB GPA of at least 3.90 is required)
Campus Application Deadline for 2019: 4:00 p.m. on August 28, 2019.
Please submit the following for campus endorsement:
- Completion of the online application, including the personal essay, list of principal activities, and the uploading of all support documents. (DO NOT hit the SUBMIT button until told to do so by the UCSB Scholarship Coordinator.)
- A copy of the on-line application must be submitted to our office at Cheadle 1117 no later than 4:00 on the day of the above campus deadline. You may email a digital copy to email@example.com or deliver a printed copy to the Scholarship Coordinator at Cheadle 1117. The copy should include all responses to application fields/questions and copies of all transcripts and supporting documents uploaded.
- No fewer than five and no more than eight recommendation letters submitted on-line to the Rhodes Trust by your reviewers. At least four of the writers must be persons from whom you have received undergraduate or graduate instruction. Separately from the upload, your letter writers must also forward copies of their letters electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than the day of the campus deadline.
Note that our office does not have access to the online application system for the Rhodes Scholarship; you must provide all application materials to us in hard copy when your online application is complete, and your letter writers must also E-mail their recommendations to us separately from uploading them to the online application. This enables us to evaluate your applciation for nomination and, if chosen, compose an endorsement letter.
Please hand in all hard copy materials at the following address:
Attention: Scholarships Coordinator
1117 Cheadle Hall
Division of Undergraduate Education
College of Letters and Science
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-2085
If you have any questions, please contact our office at email@example.com.