Estimated annual campus deadline: Early November
The Yenching Academy enrolls students from both China and abroad, to study, live, and learn together at one of China’s top universities. The scholarship supports a 12 month residential program for international students, and is aimed at creating a community of enthusiastic, globally oriented young innovators.
Eligibility: Seniors or students who will have their degree by the start of the program, who demonstrate an outstanding academic record (3.80 GPA or above for UCSB nomination), extracurricular achievement, and leadership potential, and who wish to study in China and explore the country and its surrounding cultures.
Award amount: tuition, accommodation, a round trip to and from home, medical insurance, living stipend to cover expenses at Peking University, costs related to field studies.
Campus nomination: required for all UCSB applicants, both current and former students.
Expanded Scholarship Details:
The Yenching Academy enrolls students from both China and abroad, to study, live, and learn together. The Academy offers a residential program aimed at creating a community of enthusiastic, globally oriented young innovators in the heart of China's top university. Such close proximity to the academic infrastructure of Peking University provides a unique opportunity to participate and fully immerse oneself in the life of the university.
Yenching Academy seeks students who can show a record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement, and social responsibility, as well as a strong interest in exploring different cultures, particularly those of China and the Asia Pacific region. Enrolled international students and students from Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan spend 12 months in residence at the Yenching Academy (those from Mainland China spend 24 months in the program).
Applicants should have:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field, or expect to be awarded such no later than August 31 of the year in which they wish to enroll
- An outstanding academic record (a cumulative UCSB grade point average of 3.80 or higher is required)
- A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement and social responsibility
- Strong leadership potential
- Interest in exploring different cultures, particularly those of China and the Asia Pacific region.
- Demonstrated English proficiency
Consult the Yenching Scholarship Website for more details.
Campus Application Deadline: October 28, 2019.
Please submit the following for campus endorsement:
- Completion of the online application, including all essays and questions. DO NOT submit the online application until instructed to do so by our office (after the nomination process).
- A hard copy of the completed online application must be submitted to our office at Cheadle 1117 no later than 4:00pm on the day of the campus deadline.
- Additionally, digital copies of the two letters of recommendation must be sent to our office by the campus deadline. Recommenders must send their letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the above deadline.
Please hand in all hard copy materials at the following address:
Attention: Scholarships Coordinator
1117 Cheadle Hall
Division of Undergraduate Education
College of Letters and Science
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-2085
If you have any questions, please contact our office at email@example.com.